Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Wonder in a Day Full of Moments.

Hi Friends,

A few years ago I heard Byron Katie (author of Loving What Is) speak for the first time. And the thing I remember most is the moment when she faced the audience and said “You know, I’ve waited my whole life to meet you, and here you are! Isn’t it wonderful?” And she gazed at as many of us as she could take in, with such love and adoration.

That moment changed my life. That statement and her wonder and love blew me away with its beauty. It created such a new opening for me. In that moment I became so much more aware of the opportunity for wonder, beauty and love in each new moment. I became deeply aware that each of our lives is so full of moments like this. One moment you might be talking with a friend in a coffee shop and then you feel a light touch on your shoulder, turn around and notice someone new. Maybe you see another friend who has come to join you, or maybe someone you’ve never met smiles and asks if he can sit next to you - and it might even turn out that that stranger is the love of your life. Who knew?

Each day, one moment after another greets us and we can’t possibly know what each will hold. We plan and plan and sometimes what shows up looks and feels like our plan. And often it doesn’t. It’s such a mystery; such a beautiful, spectacular mystery if we’re able to see it and feel it that way. When I’m awake to this mystery, I feel what I imagine a baby or toddler might feel, wide eyed and in wonder at each new thing they encounter. They can’t predict what is next and they don’t even try. They’re just involved in each moment – that is, until the next one comes along.

Yesterday was full of magical moments I couldn’t have seen coming. I attended a Women’s Empowerment Conference that I’d received a ticket to via an unexpected turn of events. I remember entering the conference meeting room at the start of the day and noticing that many seats were occupied and many women were still on their way. Where would I sit? A simple choice that would shape my day and change my life, a little or a lot – how could I know? So I savoured the moment of not knowing, and then found myself greeting a women sitting alone and asking her if I could join her.

Lucky me. I waited my whole life to meet her and there she was, waiting for me! She was fabulous and the moment was perfect. And we discovered that we each had something of great value to offer the other and so we’ll likely meet again, that is if it turns out that way. How could either of us have known the fun and help we’d be blessed with simply by meeting at the right time? Not a moment too soon, or too late.

And today? Right now I’m writing a blog about an idea I didn’t see coming thirty minutes ago. I remember sitting down, tuning into my heart and asking “what do I want to say?” Ideas then popped into my mind, my fingers grasped the pen, and now those same fingers are tapping letters on a keyboard, and soon (if it works out this way) I’ll press the “post blog” key. And maybe tomorrow, one moment you’ll be surfing the net, and the next moment your eyes will notice the blog entry and you’ll read these words. Or maybe you’ll see the blog entry and think “I don’t have time to read this” and you won’t. That’s good too. Life is good, all is well.

Now I’m going to put on my raincoat and step out the door for a lovely walk on the beach all by myself. But really, how could I know? All I know is that I’m open to that, or something even better.

Love and all green lights,
Lee

3 comments: