Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Another Chance ...

The other day a good friend I hadn’t seen in a couple of years called and let me know that he’d love to get together for coffee or a walk on the beach – he said that he had something big to share with me. I couldn’t wait.

Something big indeed. First, let me say that he made my day before he even opened his mouth. As I approached him and our eyes met, his whole face just lit up, and he opened his arms wide for a hug ... we hugged a big bear hug and then he presented me with flowers. Does it get any better? I think not.

So we walked to the beach, found the perfect bench with the perfect view and out came his “something big”. Just a couple of weeks before, he’d taken a trip down to the states for a little time away. During his visit he felt something odd within his body; he didn’t know what it was but he knew it felt significant enough to seek help. He visited the E.R. of a local hospital and after X-Rays and several other tests, the attending Doctor told him he was just fine and could leave. And so he began to walk away – yet he felt an inner voice tell him that something big was definitely going on. He returned and told the nurse that he didn’t feel safe leaving. That inner voice and that nurse ended up saving his life.

The nurse convinced the attending Doctor to order a Cat Scan, even though the Doctor felt it was unnecessary – after all, my friend is young and very fit, and the other tests had indicated that all was well. Well, the Cat Scan was ordered and it revealed several large blood clots within both lungs; it turned out to be what they call a Double Pulmonary Embolism. Test results in hand, the Doctor spoke with my friend and said two things. One, you’re not going anywhere - we’re admitting you immediately. And two, you can thank that nurse for your life.

As we sat on that park bench and I listened to his story, I was mesmerized. Just stunned. It was hard to imagine that he had been through all of this on his own in a foreign hospital just days before. And then he shared the giant gift in it all.

He said “Lee, I know I why I survived that. I’ve been given another chance to follow my heart and do something that I’ve wanted to do for years. I’ve put it off and now is the time ... it was touch and go in that hospital at times and I decided that if I was given a chance, I’d make my dream come true.” And now he is.

He shared his vision with me and invited me to offer any thoughts or feedback that might help him along. And of course the Universe put us together that day to serve each other perfectly and we did. I gave him my absolute faith in his ability to make a positive difference for himself and the planet by following his heart, and I lent him an inspirational DVD that I intuitively thought would fuel his spirit. And he gave me so much. He gave he that big smile and hug, flowers, and a chance to re-connect with a dear friend who, when given another chance to live his best life seized it! He inspired me. And if you’ve been following this blog, you know how much I thrive on inspiration – it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Thank you for sharing dear friend – you reminded me that “Each new instant holds an opportunity for new beginnings”. I’m so honoured that you shared this precious life experience with me and I’m thrilled for you and your “dreams coming true”. You’re such a wise, strong and beautiful soul. Imagine Obama, me and all sorts of angels surrounding you, reminding you with great enthusiasm and faith that “Yes you can!”

Love and another bear hug – virtual this time – to all!
Lee

PS: I asked my friend’s permission to share this story on my blog and he simply said “if it will help anyone, absolutely”. If it helped you, please comment.

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely Inspiring! As a firm believer in following that inner voice - whether a whisper or a shout - this just proves, once again, how powerful the universe is and how it conspires with and for us. I love that you also followed your intuition and created this blog posting. Followers, like me, get two inspiring 'hits' for the price of one! So yes, inspiring indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow the power of resilience thinking. great blog Lee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you both got the power of trusting intuition and the power of the Universe (aka resilience thinking) ... YES! Thanks so much for sharing ... with love, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! That inner voice of ours is so strong and so connected to the universe, to peace, to health and to wellness. What a fantastic reminder to trust it...and to listen! Thank-you for sharing this story Lee and there is no doubt that your friend will continue to be filled with immense joy and continued healing as he follows his dream and teaches and guides others by example by "living his best life" - just as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes JB! So very well said!
    You inspire with your words.
    Luv,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete